[78-L] Victor M-572

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Jun 4 12:13:54 PDT 2010

From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> WERM lists it as M 572 (not DM! but it probably should have been)

By the mid-40s, and even in the war years, Victor seems to be issuing
all their new Red Seal albums only in DM sequence.  I came across the
supplements where the DMs seem to start, somewhere around 1939, but it
took a while before the DMs were not retroactive but were issued at the
same time as the M.  And that is when the AM seems to have disappeared,
first from new issues, and then completely when the war began.

> and the new numbers are 10-0005/8, with a filler added for the 8th side
> (Campos: Laura y Georgina). I've seen very few 10-0000s, mostly reissues
> of Tito Schipa as I recall. I don't see it in the 1948 catalog either
> so that reissue can't have been around for long.

> The "something else" I was thinking of was the Sonata for Piano 4-hands
> played by Hindemith and Sanroma, 15822 and 2040 in M-637.  dl

Wait, don't tell me, let me guess.  It is 15822 which is ALWAYS broken!
Why didn't ANY company figure out a suitable oversized sleeve for the
10-inch discs that would protect the 12?

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com