[78-L] Plant you now, dig you later

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. bratcher at pdq.net
Fri Jun 4 11:55:46 PDT 2010

>I was just listening to the Columbia recording of Pal Joey, (it must
>be on 78s but I've never seen it;  I had it on Lp and now it's on
>CD), and I noticed the song "Plant you now, dig you later".  This
>seems like a strange title and I don't know what it means.  I've
>heard somewhere that it's an old African-American phrase.  Anyway,
>why it caught my ear is that I have here somewhere an old 18th
>century dictionary which contains words which were dropped in later
>dictionaries.  One of those words is the popular 4 letter "f" word
>which means to copulate.  In this old dictionary its meaning is
>given as "to plant".  It also gives the version "f**ken" which means
>planted.  Perhaps Mr. Hart knew this and was having a private
>chuckle at getting away with it.
>
>A similar situation happens in one of the squeaky clean Mary Tyler
>Moore episodes.  She and Rhoda are, as usual, discussing some guy
>and Mary grumbles that she'll probably spend her later years at home
>"tickling her cat".  Rhoda bursts into a spontaneous laughter which
>clearly indicates that this was an unexpected ad-lib line.  The
>phrase is actually a not to well known euphemism for I'm sure you
>can guess what.
>
>db

Which episode was that? I didn't find it during the first 4 seasons
of the Mary Tyler Moore show although I haven't seen season 5 yet.
Nor is it in the season 6 or 7 sixteen millimeter film prints I have
of the show (I don't have all of both seasons on film) so it must be
somewhere in season 5, 6 or 7.....