[78-L] Lang-Worth 8" transcriptions

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Fri Jun 4 07:18:57 PDT 2010

Found my Lang-Worth catalog. Turns out there are far more lettered prefixes than you originally thought. Here's the rundown on what is here. Note that my collection has a letter typed on Lang-Worth stationery addressed to "program managers" indicating that the latest release being sent out was from July 1957, so I am assuming that is the date of what was currently in print. The dates at the bottom of the pages start in 1952 and go as late as 1955. What I have are 8 1/2" x 11" sheets and dividers that are three-hole punched into a cloth binder. Some of the tabs (such as the Western/Hillbilly tab) do not have any data pages included, but I know Leon Payne made quite a few of these. There is also a separate printed catalog that lists all the numbers alphabetically by title along with disc numbers and timings. I don't have time to go through each and list the numerical ranges, but here are the categories.

MP = Mood and Production Music
DL = Name Dance Bands - Large
DS = Name Dance Bands - Small
IN  = Instrumental Groups
OR = Organ Units
SC = Symphony and Concert
PC = Pop Concert
SS = Salon & Strings
BR = Brass Bands
WES = Western and Hillbilly
CH = Church Music
VGL = Vocal Groups - Large
VGS (Indicated as VoS) = Vocal Groups - Small
DX = Hawaiian, Latin - American, Polkas
CI = Collector's Items

The tabs for each of these is numbered from 1-16, but there are two that are missing (#s 13 & 15). I do not know if these are missing from my binder or if they were deleted from the catalog altogether. It appears to be the former since the tabs are spaced apart evenly and there is a gap where these tabs should have been.

The CI category is the one that would be of main interest to collectors as those are jazz and swing selections. I will indicate what these are:

CI-1 to CI-3  Will Bradley & Ray McKinely (recorded in 1941)
CI-4 to CI-5  Larry Clinton (1941)
CI-6 to CI-11 John Kirby Dance Band featuring Maxine Sullivan (1940)
CI-12  Gene Krupa
CI-13  John Kirby Dance Band
CI-14 to CI-19  Bobby Sherwood (exclusive Hi-Fi recordings made at Liederkranz Hall)
CI-20 to CI-26  Boyd Raeburn & his Hep-Boyds
CI-27 to CI-32  Cliff Edwards (Ukulele Ike)
CI-33 to CI-36  Jimmie Lunceford (1940)
CI-37  Bobby Sherwood
CI-38 to CI-43  Bob Strong (recorded Liederkranz Hall)
CI-44 to CI-48  Sonny Dunham (recorded Liederkranz Hall)
CI-49 to CI-51  Claude Thornhill (recorded Liederkranz Hall)
CI-52  John Kirby Dance Band, featuring Maxine Sullivan (1940)
CI-53 to CI-54  Gene Krupa with Anita O'Day (Liederkranz Hall, 1941)
CI-55  Count Basie (Liederkranz Hall, 1944)
CI-56 to CI-57  Charlie Barnet with Lena Horne (Liederkranz Hall, 1941 & 1942)
CI-58 to CI-60  Randy Brooks (Liederkranz Hall, 1945, 1946, 1947)
CI-61 to CI-62  Woody Herman (1941)
CI-63 to CI-64  Teddy Powell
CI-65 to CI-66  Tony Pastor (w/Rosemary & Betty Clooney)
CI-67 to CI-74  Tommy Dorsey
CI-75 to CI-76  The Modernaires w/Paula Kelly
CI-77 to CI-78  Ziggy Elman

Catalog ends with CI-78 but I know the series went a little further. I have copies of CI-82, 83 & 85.

CI-79 to CI-81  unknown
CI-82 to CI-85  Fats Waller (organ solos)

To sum up, these are what are indicated in the catalog binder that I acquired. I have not compared this with the actual discs (about 600-700) in the library that I have.

Cary Ginell