[78-L] All-American?

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jun 3 16:10:59 PDT 2010

simmonssomer wrote:
> [...]
Rollini didn't play baritone, though he played bass sax better than most
of the others played baritone. Chaloff has never done much for me (the
guy sounded constipated). Tony Scott was one of the best. My favourite
baritone sax solo is by Edgar Sampson on Lionel Hampton's "Ring Dem
Bells" (Victor). The best bass sax solo I've heard was by Spencer Clark
on "I Know That You Know", recorded at Squirrel Ashcraft's (1939?)/

A musician once said that he didn't like Mulligan because he played
notes "that fell easily on the chords, rather like Joe Marsala". Stanley
Dance once said about Carney that he was a great embellisher rather than
a great soloist.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5170 (20100603) __________

http://www.eset.com