[78-L] All-American?

Jeff Lichtman jeff at swazoo.com
Thu Jun 3 14:41:42 PDT 2010

>What does "All-American" mean in the jazz context? Count Basie's rhythm
>section was once known by this title, and Duke Ellington introduced
>Harry Carney at the 1956 Newport Jazz Festival as an "All-American"
>baritone sax player.
>
>       Julian Vein

I agree with the others who have replied - it's a sports reference.
The term "All-American" seems to have originated in college football
- several different organizations pick All-American teams every year,
with the purpose of recognizing the best players in the country at
each position. That is, "All-American" means "the best in all of
America." So when Duke called Carney an "All-American" baritone
player, he meant Carney was the best in the U.S. at that instrument.

                        -        Jeff Lichtman
                                 jeff at swazoo.com
                                 http://swazoo.com/