[78-L] Indispensable Books on my shelf (was Tony Russell)

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Jun 2 22:29:46 PDT 2010

From: "Cary Ginell" <soundthink at live.com>
> Snatch it up. At that price, it's a steal.
>
> For those of you who are newbies, this might be a good idea to introduce
> many of you to the basic books every record collector should have. I have
> one bookshelf in my library for "indispensable" resources. It's only three
> feet long, but it has all the discographies I use more than anything else:
> Rust's "Jazz Records", "American Dance Bands" (the new 5-volume edition),
> "Entertainment" discographies, and the Victor Master Book, Russell's
> "Country Music Records," Dixon/Godrich/Rye's "Blues & Gospel Records,"
> Sutton's "Cakewalks, Rags & Novelties," "Country Music Sources" by Meade &
> Spottswood, Daniel's "American 45 & 78 rpm Record Dating Guide," Laird &
> Rust's "OKeh Discography," the Paramount 12/13000 book, and my own Western
> Swing and Decca discographies. Spilling over onto another shelf is the
> Barr record dating guide, Kinkle's Encyclopedia of Popular Music, Sutton's
> "Pseudonyms on American Records," and all four editions of the ASCAP
> Biographical Dictionary. On my computer,
> I have loaded Rockwell's Hawaiian Records discography. There are many
> other books I use, but these are the ones I end up going back to again and
> again and again.
>
> Of course, one man's "indispensable" is not necessarily another's, but for
> me, a collector of jazz, blues, and country, these are my main resources.
> Anyone else?

Also, add the "Abrams Files" on one's computer! These could once be
downloaded
from 78online.com...dunno if they are still there?! However, they open
nicely in
WordPad; if you intend to enter changes covering your own records, you will
have to save copies of the files under slightly different names, as the
originals
will be read-only...!

Steven C. Barr