[78-L] 78's at "Sally Ann"

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Jun 2 20:26:51 PDT 2010

From: "Robert M. Bratcher Jr." <bratcher at pdq.net>
> At 03:55 PM 6/2/2010, you wrote:
>>I managed to pick up a few at the Sally's in Kamloops BC. And, even
>>better, they survived the trip home!
>>
>>I'm constantly raiding my local Half Price Books. A bit iffy at time,
>>but I've found a few gems -- Sweet Georgia Brown  on Temp by Brother
>>Boes, and a US Cadence 78 of Bill Hayes singing The Ballad of Davy
>>Crockett in German
> I've seen some 78's every now & then at the 2 Half Price Books
> locations I shop at in Houston. Bought some the last time at 50 cents
> per 10" 78.

There is another thrift store he in Oshawa, run by St. Vincent's. Several
years ago, they had about a dozen 78's...all priced at $10 each? When I
asked, to make sure there wasn't an error, they told me "Oh, no! Those
are VERY old, very rare and quite valuable! I was too taken aback to
tell the poor lady that I not only knew how old they were, but had quite
literally "written the book" on their age...and had tens of thousands
of the dommed things...?!

I've often wondered how long it took them to find a rich sucker...?!

Steven C. Barr