[78-L] Indispensable Books on my shelf (was Tony Russell)

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Jun 2 21:22:23 PDT 2010

Okay, here are mine, as I look over to the shelves..and I won't name everything but I will list the main ones, which are on 7 shelves.

Shelf 1: V-Discs, Variety Music Cavalcade, Whitburn's Pop Memories and Top Pop (sorry, but they DO get used), British Music Hall on Record, London Musical Shows on Record, WERM, Nat Shapiro's "Popular Music" (5 volumes).

Shelf 2: Jazz Records, ADBD, Delaunay, Rust's Complete Entertainment Discography (both editions), Victor Master Book, Kinkle (including the supplement), Vintage Children's Records, Vogue Book, Barr's Almost Complete Guide, Gart's ARLD.

Shelf 3: (among other things) BG Off the Recoird, British Dance Bands (both versions), Ethnic Music on Records (7 volumes).

Shelf 4: many many Victor and Columbia catalogs.

Shelf 5: MGM, Columbia and Brunswick books (Greenwood), Jack Litchfield's Canadian Jazz Discography.

Shelf 6: David Hall's Record Book (3 Editions), Decca Labels (6 volumes).

Shelf 7: Show Music on Record, Spike Jones (by Jordan Young), various Garrod artist and transcription label discographies, Moogk's Roll Back the Years, others..the only reason Russell's book hasn't been mentioned is that it hasn't been unpacked yet, so who knows what other treasures I've been living without? Come to think of it, the OKeh Discography and the Billy May and Spike Jones bio-discogs by Jack Mirtle are also MIA.

dl