[78-L] How Bing Crosby morphed into Frank Sinatra.!!!!!! [FWD]

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Jun 1 19:07:54 PDT 2010

From: <fnarf at comcast.net>
>> The harsh reality is that no "music" worthy of that term is currently
>> being
>> created...or HAS been in the last decade or so...?! Listening to any
>> "current
>> pop hits" source (radio or Internet) will confirm that they are only
>> REcycling
>> the same stuff?! Current "pop music" ("Urban Dance") is nothing more or
>> less than relentless repetition of the same riffs/licks/beat that made a
>> star of the late James Brown c.1962...?!
>
> Here we go again. Your value judgement (no good music today) is ludicrous,
> and your factual statement (everything today is 1962 James Brown) is not
> just wrong but spectacularly and stupidly wrong. James Brown's 1962 riffs
> etc. are not even particularly evident today, though you'll occasionally
> hear some of his 1972 ones. But not that often.
>
> Just because you're old and don't know how to listen to modern music or
> even where to find it doesn't mean it's bad. "Urban dance" as a category
> description is about 25 years out of date, and apparently so are you.
>
> It does the appreciation of older music no favors to denigrate the new.

Oh, I listen to current music...or TRY to? It's unavoidable if one owns a FM
radio...?! However, I haven't heard ANYTHING that is "new" in a musical
sense...?! Figure that c.1955 saw the appearance of "rock'nroll"...it lasted
5-10 years and then morphed into "rock" (after a brief brush with "soul
music" in the mid-sixties...!). Rock then split into a number of sub-genres
(psychedelia, "heavy metal," usw.),

However, I find that all too much current music uses that same "funk"
(one-two-THREE-four, with the third beat very slightly delayed for
emphasis...requires a VERY skilled bassist to pull off...?!) that today's
young folk "dance" to! IMO, we are overdue for a BRAND new and
TOTALLY different form of pop music; I have NO idea what this will
be, but it won't resemble anything already done (just as both
rock'n'roll and the various forms of "rock" didn't...?!).

Steven C. Barr