[78-L] Woodymay Record Co. Boston

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun May 30 13:26:38 PDT 2010

 A year or two ago someone gave me a fuzzy B&W glossy of an old
fashioned record story with the caption WOODYMAY RECORD CO., BOSTON,
MASS.  I recently got a smaller version of it, an original postcard
which is much clearer.  There are disc records hung on the wall and the
side of shelves which also house discs, with several piles of discs next
to the shelves, topped with paper label Diamond Discs.  A glass counter
houses cylinders and some sleeved Diamond Discs, including two with
paper labels.  A few horn machines are seen in the back, some Edisin
Records signs, a framed paiting of Edison, and a wall calendar with the
date 24.  The larger version of the picture had this typed caption on
the white border:

"THE FAMOUS OLD MUSEUM OF CYLINDER AND EARLY OLD RECORDS.  NO RECORDS
WERE ALLOWED TO COME IN THIS SHOP PAST 1910.  MR. JOHN L. NORTON SR. AND
JR. WERE THE FOUNDERS AND OWNERS.  BOTH ARE DEAD.  THE WORLDS FINEST
MUSEUM OF OLD RECORDS IS NO MORE."

Since there are paper label Diamond Discs, that 1910 date is hooey.
Anyone (Donna??) know anything about this store?  A scan of the photos
is available.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com