[78-L] Reprising Record Price Guides

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Thu May 27 06:43:28 PDT 2010

Steven C./ Barr says: “In almost 40 years of 78
collecting/accumulating...I tend to assume that
99.9% of 78's are worth $1 when sold individually...and MUCH less in
"lot sales!" There are, of course, a few exceptions; they tend to reach
much higher TEMPORARY values...which generally dissipate in fairly
short order...!

Further, actual RARE 78's (I own a Radiex disc promoting the label
being electrically recorded, which is so far unknown among collectors;
and an Okie record, issued by a Whiting,IN label, which may be the
last surviving example of its kind...?!) do NOT bring prices reflecting
their ratity,,,?!

Steven may be quite right about “99.9% of 78s are worth $1 when sold
individually,” but the 78s I am looking for and buy cost more,
sometimes much more! Price obviously depends on seller, location, and
trends. I started re-buying bop records in the early ’80s when prices
were far lower and one could get a Parker Dial or Savoy in E+ or better
condition for $5. Prices on those peaked during the late ’90s and
remain fairly high even now. In my experience, buying from a private
individual usually gave me the best price, like 10¢ a record. One of my
principal sources in the late 1980s was a guy who sold me nearly 1000
mint records in original sleeves at three for a dollar. Next would be
junk stores, Salvation Army, and Goodwill (usually 50¢). Next after
that would be record bashes and second-hand record stores that
sometimes offered great finds at low prices (I bought my Bix Victor
Memorial album in E+ condition for $12.50). My two favorites was a
store in Boonton, New Jersey and Novotny’s in Glendale, California. I
bought many hundreds of records from them at $2 to $3 apiece. Both
stores are unfortunately out of business. Next would be mail-auction
lists, and finally, E-Bay where some rare-record sellers have MBs of
either $9.99 or $19.99 as their standard starting prices (those who
want to bid lower need not apply). The promotional 78s Steven refers to
simply don’t come up. Even if they did, very few collectors would
understand their historical value or care. Last are book albums which
most 78 buyers eschew. Why? I haven’t a clue. Sometimes I could buy an
entire album for much less than the price of a single record from the
album