[78-L] Shorts

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Thu May 27 01:18:06 PDT 2010

Mike Biel wrote:

Actually I did comment about your knees, and Lenneck responded that they
were quite famous in Canada, and asked if there had been a banjo on
them.  I responded that I hadn't noticed one but being that this was
NOLA there was a chance there might have been something (or someone)
else on them during your nightly trips between the conference hotel and
your hotel.

Yes I enjoyed that posting and replied, enigmatically, to it.  For some reason, my shorts have acquired some fame at a summer music festival in Parry Sound, ON.  Several years ago, the Lieutenant Governor visited the festival with an entourage including Canada's most famous contralto Maureen Forrester, (who was there as the head of the Canadian Music Coucil).  They were all making an entrance during the performance of the "Royal Salute", (a combination of "O Canada" and "God Save the Queen"), usually a solemn moment.  This was a rare moment when I was wearing long pants and I was surprised when Ms. Forrester broke ranks with the procession and walked over and whispered in my ear, "I'm disappointed!  I had been promised that I would be able to enjoy the sight of your knees."

db