[78-L] Al Gallodoro plays Gershwin

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Tue May 25 08:02:18 PDT 2010

Just got this notice from Steven Richman:

Gershwin by Grofé: Symphonic Jazz
Harmonie Ensemble New York/Steven
Richman, with Lincoln Mayorga (piano) and Al Gallodoro (saxophone and
clarinet) (Harmonia Mundi)

Skip to the end - Rhapsody in Blue
- and you’re assailed by a clarinet solo of such oomph and panache, the
klezmer-like wailings sounding like a ghost from the past. It’s startling,
brilliant, and brings tears to the eyes. And then you read the sleeve notes and
find out that the soloist Al Gallodoro was a member of the Paul Whiteman band in
1930s New York, the same ensemble which premiered the work in 1924. Sadly
Gallodoro died two years after recording this account of the Rhapsody,
aged 95. The piece is more often heard in the rather bloated full orchestral
version orchestrated by Ferde Grofé, but here we get his original jazz band
version. Leaner, meaner and tighter-sounding, it packs an effervescent punch
here, helped by a close-up recording balance and some idiomatic banjo-twanging.
There are so many moments where you want to jump up and cheer, my favourite
being the lower brass chord change accompanying the violin solo after the big
tune in the middle. This disc would be worth buying for the Rhapsody
alone, but we also get original Paul Whiteman Orchestra versions of Gershwin
standards, and the composer’s own orchestration of the quirky, underrated “I
Got Rhythm” Variations. Playing and direction are faultless, with marvellous
piano playing from Lincoln Mayorga. As a novelty bonus, one track is duplicated,
recorded on a 1909 Edison wax cylinder. Find on Amazon <http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gershwin-Grofe-Symphonic-Harmonie-Ensemble/dp/B0031B7EOU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1274107529&sr=1-1>

Al Galladoro and Lincoln Mayorga on YouTube
http://www.theartsdesk.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=1546:classical-music-cds-round-up-8&Itemid=27

Cary Ginell