[78-L] Climax label [was Name the band]

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Sun May 23 13:07:47 PDT 2010

I assume that Climax was a sublabel of Blue Note, used for early jazz styles
(and named after the Climax Rag on the first issue).
All issues, 101-105, are the George Lewis N.O. 1943 recordings, privately made
by Bill Russell and pres. later sold to Blue Note.
The labels state: Distributed by Blue Note Records.
Is the orig. release date known for these issues (from Billboard)?

European Climax labels contain different series (numbered like BN; not the Climax 100s),
and have 2 different label types.
There are issues in:
- an xx-series (36 Edmond Hall; 43 & 49 Bechet);
- 500 series (Hodes; Baby Dodds; last known to me is 563 Bechet: the Saints);
- 15/1600 series (1595/6 Miles Davis; 1606 Gil Mellé).
These European issues may show BIEM on the labels, and
Raben lists them under Bechet as Climax(G).

Han Enderman
===
>>> Han,
I played "Climax Rag" during my talk at ARSC this year. I too have it on a Blue Note LP
but I see that the 78 was issued on the Climax label, and the only Climax that I know is
the 2-sided disc that Columbia marketed in the early 1900s.
What was Climax, who owned it and what relationship does it have with Blue Note?

Uncle Dave Lewis
uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
---
These 12-inch Climax sides were independently recorded and then sold by
Blue Note under the "Climax" name.
(gw)<<<