[78-L] Glee

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Tue May 18 22:49:49 PDT 2010

I started watching "Glee" because of my job - I produce piano/vocal songbooks and wanted to see what songs are being used in this show that we might want to put in one of our books. I was pleased and surprised to hear "When You're Smiling," which was performed very reverently and sweetly by one of the cast members. I can imagine millions of teenagers now hunting for a version of that song to listen to, and it could only come on a 78 era record. Any show that can put songs like that and "Dream a Little Dream of Me" in it is all right in my book. It's a pretty funny show, with some broadly drawn stereotyped characters, but it doesn't take itself seriously, is well-written, and I'm not ashamed to say I like it. I learn a lot of newer songs, too, that I never would have listened to otherwise.

"Dream a Little Dream of Me," in my opinion, was just another dance band song.  I have the original Wayne King version on Victor 22643 and it's kind of plain and dreary. I grew to love the song when Mama Cass Elliot recorded it in 1968. (She sings it solo; John Phillips does a spoken introduction, but it's all Cass after that.)

I'm off to N'awlins.

Cary Ginell