[78-L] Glass Records

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue May 18 21:11:33 PDT 2010

This was part of a thread originating on ARSClist about an archive of glass based transcriptions and the care and handling of same, and how delicate they are..this will illustrate how delicate they WERE 65 years ago. By chance I just found a book about the history of Toronto radio station CFRB and opened it at a passage about transcribed programs. And don't give me heartburn about "acetate"..I'm just quoting.

"The sixteen-inch discs gave the operators a great deal of trouble during the war. The acetate surface was moulded on a platter of aluminum, but by 1942 the aluminum was needed for the war effort. So a glass base was substituted. Though RB was receiving some soap operas from CBS on the line, many of them were coming in on records, one episode per side. 'We always unpacked the records very carefully indeed,' [operator Butch] Harrison said, 'but as often as not the glass would be shattered. The acetate, however, being more resilient, would still be holding, with its grooves intact. So we'd have to slide the disc onto the turntable a quarter-inch at a time,' Harrison said, 'and pat it down nice and easy, so as not to ruin the recording. It sometimes took us half an hour to get the disc in place. THEN we'd worry about how the hell we were going to get it off again, turn it over for the next day's episode, and play it again."

Never heard of today's standard method of sandwiching it between two aluminum discs, obviously!

dl