[78-L] FW: (no subject)

fnarf at comcast.net fnarf at comcast.net
Mon May 17 15:40:14 PDT 2010

There have always been grifters and con artists. We expect convenience, but we're not willing to take common-sense precautions. If you give your credit card number and security code up to a stranger who calls you on the telephone, just because he asks for it, well, I won't say you deserve to get robbed but I will say that you're not taking ordinary precautions.

That said, most credit card fraud is still done the old-fashioned way, by scavenging your number from the charge slip at a store or restaurant. Any time you use one of those old-fashioned ka-CHUNK credit card machines, the kind that takes a carbon impression from your card, your number is on display on that slip of paper. In addition, a clerk or waiter can easily jot down the number when he has your card in the back room.

I just read a fascinating book about an unrepentant book thief who stole hundreds of card numbers from his time working in the San Francisco branch of Sak's Fifth Avenue. He worked in the credit account department, setting up new accounts. It was the perfect crime for him, since he would use the numbers to buy rare books (worth thousands of dollars apiece) many months after he first saw the card number; there was no way to trace them back to Sak's. He eventually got caught, and served a short sentence (not his first), and is believed to still be at it in Canada now.