[78-L] FW: (no subject)

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Mon May 17 11:31:38 PDT 2010

Just a warning for those staying in the hotel at ARSC.

Hotel Scam

This is kinda scary if only because of how simple it is. Reading this,
we could have been caught. I'll bet this works all too
Often.

You arrive at your hotel and check in at the front desk. When checking
in, you give the front desk your credit card (for all the Charges for your
 room).

You get to your room and settle in.

Someone calls the front desk and asked for (example) Room 620 (which happens
to be your room). Your phone rings in your room.. You answer
and the person on the other end says the following, 'This is the front desk".

When checking in, we came cross a problem with your charge card information. Please
re-read me your credit card number and verify the last 3 digits Numbers at
the reverse side of your charge card.'

Not thinking anything you might give this person your information, since the
call seems to come from the front desk. But actually, it is a scam
of Someone calling from outside the hotel/front desk.

They ask for a random room number. Then, ask you for credit card information
and address information. Sounding so professional that you do think you
are talking to the front desk.

If you ever encounter this problem on your vacation, tell the caller that you
will be down at the front desk to clear up any problems. Then, go to the front
desk and ask if there was a problem.

If there was none, inform the manager of the hotel that someone called
to scam you of your credit card information acting like a front desk employee.

This was sent by someone who has been duped......and is still clearing up the
 mess....

P.S. Please everyone, help spread the word by forwarding this email to everyone
you know. Who knows, you might just help someone avoid a nasty experience.