[78-L] Some useful info and links for those coming to ARSC!

Steve Ramm steveramm78l at hotmail.com
Mon May 17 06:21:43 PDT 2010

Here is some more useful info for those coming to ARSC:

There are some free concerts at the New Orleans Jazz National Park:  (note that that the building is closed Sunday and MOndays) Open 9-5 rest of the time.

Wednesday, 19
Tom McDermott
12:00 – 1:00 p.m.
Pianist and guest star of the new HBO series, Treme’, Tom McDermott performs a mix of ragtime, marches, traditional jazz, and Brazilian music in this informative concert.

Friday, May 21
Family Friendly Fridays with Johnette Downing
11:00 – 11:45 a.m.
Join multi award winning children’s musician and author, Johnette Downing, for a 45 minute performance especially geared for pre-K through 3rd grade, but all ages are welcome.

Saturday, May 22

Joe Simon’s Jazz

2:00 – 3:30 p.m.
With a career spanning over a half century bassist, vocalist, & bandleader Joe Simon has spread the gospel of traditional New Orleans music since the 1950’s as a Rhythm and Blues sideman at the legendary “Dew Drop Inn”. Join Joe Simon and his six piece band for a program of traditional jazz.

Here's an easy map with location of Music Venues - worth printing out and bringing:

http://www.nps.gov/jazz/planyourvisit/upload/venues.pdf

There are 2 page maps of self guided walking tours of NOLA Jazz at this site (suggest Decatur one as the closest.
New Orleans Jazz National Historical Park - Places (U.S. National Park Service)

IF you have an ipod or MP3 player you might want to download the 1 hour audio walking tour (and map) I found on Itunes. It looks great and got good reviews:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/new-orleans-audissey/id284985802

For those staying longer - Sunday and Monday Morning are good time to take the free Ferry to Algiers (across the river). Easy to walk around for a couple of hours.  I couldn't find the map on line.

And- of course - while you are printing all this stuff - go to the audio stream at: http://www.wwoz.org/  and listen.

I hope the above is helpful. In addition to the great presentations inside the hotel, there will be lots to do. I hope many of you planned extra time.

Only 2 days to go!

Steve Ramm