[78-L] Odd Columbia 78s from Argentina

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Sun May 16 06:58:11 PDT 2010

At 02:58 16/05/2010, SB wrote:
>CBS was battling RCA Victor at that time...even to the extent of promoting
>their "LP" against RCA's "45!" This rivalry extended to the (short-lived)
>33.3 7" single...?! If CBS ever issued 7" 78's at that time, I have NEVER
>seen an example...did this post refer to CBS's 7" LP's?!
>
>I have at least one of the 7" LP-speed discs...!
>
>Steven C. Barr

No -- these are confirmed as 7-inch 78 rpm disk from CBS/ Columbia
issued in Argentina. The seem to have started in 1952 and lasted
until at least late 1953. Given the catalog numbers (which I hosed
up), there were over a hundred of them, with the Rosie Clooney being
Columbia 1-20.109.

It would seem that over the history of the disk, every combination of
the 'standard' 3 speeds (78,45,33) and sizes (7,10,12), have been
issued somewhere in the world.

My guess is that CBS did these to head off RCA in the 7 inch market
-- probably by confusing things.

I do have to wonder, given all this, how the 7 inch single ended up
at 33 1/3 rpm in Brazil as standard through it lifetime,