[78-L] RCA 44- Dash Series

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Sat May 15 05:20:40 PDT 2010

The two catalog numbers not used in Victor’s Hot Jazz Classics series
40-0138 and 40-0139 are shown on LOC Sound Collection as: 40-0138 Jack
Teagarden’s Big Eight: Say It Simple/A Jam Session at Victor, and
40-0139 Muggsy Spanier and His Ragtime Band: Relaxin’ at the Touro/I
Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate. According to the LOC listing,
these are the only issues of the two Teagarden sides. Teagarden’s “Big
Eight” was a designation used by HRS and on Victor 20-2458: St. Louis
Blues/Blues After Hours. “Relaxin”...” was originally issued on
Bluebird B-10506, and “Shimmy...” on Bluebird B-10532. The 16 Spanier
Bluebird sides were issued on the original blue-and-gold label and then
repressed on the dull war-time label. They were also issued in Victor’s
20- dash series and in the U.K. in Gramophone’s in “9000” range. I have
complete sets of both Bluebird pressings and the Gramophone pressings
but not the Victor.