[78-L] Odd Columbia 78s from Argentina

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat May 15 07:26:32 PDT 2010

> Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 14:22:01 +0000
> To: 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
> From: agp2176 at verizon.net
> Subject: Re: [78-L] Odd Columbia 78s from Argentina
>
> At 14:15 15/05/2010, dl wrote:
>
> >Are you sure of the speed? 7-inch Columbia singles had the z-prefix
> >no matter what speed they were recorded at. 33rpm singles have ZLP
> >and there were still fine-groove 78s cut for premiums (I have the Jo
> >Stafford "St. Louis Blues" on both 45 and 78).
> >
> >dl
>
> Yep -- them there records say 78 rpm right on the label, so unless
> the printer got it wrong and Jo Stafford sounds like she's on ether
> and Tony Bennett sounds like inspiration for David Seville, I'd say
> they were 78

I joined this discussion a bit late so I haven't looked at the Argentine listing. And changing the topic slightly, we've mentioned a number of times how often later 7-inch singles didn't show the speed at all, didn't always have a large center hole when they were 45s, and in one notorious instance, was a 33RPM that Columbia pressed as a bonus item but which DID have a large center hole (and to top it off, sounded better at 45)..this was a Lazar Berman recording, dubbed from a 30s 78.