[78-L] RCA Special purpose records

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed May 12 20:20:18 PDT 2010

From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Virtually all of mine have come out of radio station libraries. Most of
> them show the timing, which was not printed on commercial pressings till
> the mid or late 50s..some even show the time to where the vocal starts,
> and some have a descriptive paragraph for the disc jockey on the cover.

Apparently, RCA used the "Special Purpose" designation for any pressings not
part
of regular issues? I have seen a few of the earlier "DJ promo" discs (they
often have
the A side on both sides); however, the classical discs described in this
thread would
seem to be low-noise vinyl versions of existing shellac Red Seal discs of
note?

Steven C. Barr