[78-L] "Broadcast" 12

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed May 12 19:57:46 PDT 2010

From: <neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com>
> My other recent acq. is a "Broadcast" 12 78 of the Original Havana Band.
> Parts 1 and 2.
> I never saw a popular recording this old with a tune that required a
> side break. I thought that was only for classical music. Guess I Was
> wrong. I see from the example on Wikipedia that it is also a 2 sided
> selection. Was this true of the label in general?

"Broadcast" was a UK label; their first product were finer-grooved 8"
78's which supposedly played as long as regular 10" 78's. The 10"
"Broadcast Twelve" discs, which they issued in the early thirties, were
supposed to play at least as long as 12" 78's (thus the name); many
of them included two songs per side (thus the "side break"...!

Steven C. Barr