[78-L] A Western Swing CD review that didn't make my May In The Groove Column

Steve Ramm steveramm78l at hotmail.com
Wed May 12 17:19:06 PDT 2010

Because of space issues, the following item I included in  my May column in "In The Groove" didn't make it. I didn't want folks to miss out so here it is:

, I discovered lots of current musicians carrying on the style of music we love, at this year’s Folk Alliance conference. This month’s find is Carolyn Martin. When I heard what sounded like Bob Wills’ western swing band in the room across the hall from me, I had to investigate. This led me to Carolyn, who- with her husband Dave – lead a really hot band. Their CD Cookin’ With Carolyn (Java Jive) swings from beginning to end. Not all the songs are about food, but there are enough, such as “Skillet Blues” and  “That’s what I call cookin’” to make you hungry. The Tennessee- based band wowed the professional musicians at FA and one listen to this disc will show you why. Check out the music at www.carolynmartinmusic.com

Steve Ramm