[78-L] RCA Special purpose records

neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com
Wed May 12 09:14:37 PDT 2010

I've never seen these before, just acquired a few of them.

It is a 12" vinyl 78 rpm. It appears identical to a regular commercial
78, other than being made of the lighter and flexible material. The
label is the same except that it says "special purpose record" jut above
the center hole.

So what was the special purpose? Is there any difference in these and a
plain ol' 78 shellac?

I have Chopin's Barcarolle played by Artur Rubinstein on 12-0378
and Bernstein plays Ravel Piano Concerto in G on DM 1209. The usual run
out info looks like any other record - matrix & catalog. There's also a
5-pointed star at about 3 pm reference the label (on the Bernstein.
Iturbi doesn't follow the pattern and has no matrix info in the run out).

Iturbi is 12-0242, a coupla Tchaikovsky selections.

So what am I looking at?

joe salerno