[78-L] Blue Note label types

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Tue May 11 19:53:09 PDT 2010

I acquired copies of Comet 1 through 3 and 6 and 7 in the late 1980s. I
didn’t see a copy of Comet 4 until 2006 and bought that. Then in 2009,
I acquired a copy each of 4 and 5 as part of a collection of jazz 78s.
I was quite surprised to find them. My guess is that Blue Note 1, 2,
and 4, which are boogie-woogie recordings, may be as scarce as their
equivalents on the Solo Art label, which were recorded soon after. I
bought my five Solo Art records as a group in the early 1990s and have
probably seen no more than one or two copies since. I only know of one
person who has the complete Solo Art catalog. Some were purchased from
the late Tom Tsotsi, so they were probably in excellent condition.