[78-L] Blue Note label types

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Tue May 11 12:18:18 PDT 2010

Julian Vein says: “In my experience most Blue Note 12"s are fairly
common.” and David Lennick adds: “Ditto..but not nearly as common as
twelve-inch Keynotes and Comets!”

The two least-common Comets are numbers 4 and 5 by pianist Cyril
Haynes, featuring Don Byas on tenor. These are quite good sides. Ross
Russell never reissued them on Dial, as he did the Tatum and Norvo
recordings, because he didn’t know of them and therefore did not buy
them from Black & White. Very scarce are the two Comet albums by Art
Tatum and Red Norvo. I have the Tatum but have only seen a scan of the
Norvo cover. These were put out by the “California” Black & White.