[78-L] Lena Horne

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Tue May 11 04:20:56 PDT 2010

Agreed. Her records never did anything for me, but live, she was amazing,
especially after 1981.

I met her on the street once. I was with my mentor Jerry Graff, who'd sung
with her and written special material for her when she was playing Las Vegas
in the fifties. I'll never forget it; W. 58th St. and Sixth Avenue. We were
behind her, and Jerry recognized her. We had a very pleasant chat for a few
minutes, but what I will never forget is the energy she radiated. She was a
little over five feet, but she was radiant. I was near speechless as she and
Jerry spoke and caught up.

According to Jerry, she had just about the classiest act in Vegas next to
Kay Thompson. Too bad somebody never filmed it.

Jeff Sultanof