[78-L] Crown Radio-Graphic of Montreal, The Three Hawaiians? Does anyone have any information about either?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed May 5 21:03:12 PDT 2010

From: "Penny Eadie" <spottedrock at yahoo.com>
> I have an old 10" disc (it looks like it is a 78 rpm, but doesn't indicate
> that anywhere) that I picked up at a flea market and I haven't been able
> to track down much information on either the record company or the artists
> in my searches. Does anyone have any information they can help me out
> with? The label is black, or possibly a very dark blue with gold
> lettering, there is a domed crown with one point above the word crown in
> an uppercase seriph font. The number is 81140, the artists "The Three
> Hawaiians" and the titles are "Carolina Moon" on the A side and "Sunny
> Sunny June" on the B side.
> Crown Record Co. Lachine Montreal Canada is printed around the outer edge
> of the label at the bottom.
>
> Any information would be greatly appreciated, I know that Compo Company
> Limited produced records under the Crown label in Lachine, Quebec between
> 1930 and 1936, but that is the extent of the information I have been able
> to track down so far.

Crown 81140 would be a Compo-manufactured Crown record. The sides were
originally
recorded by/for ARC. The matrix numbers should be present; they will be very
faintly
handwritten in the run-out area. Alex Robertson compiled a numeric list of
the 81000
series; I have no idea where one might acquire a copy...?!

"Carolina Moon" is probably ARC matrix 8464 (takes and 3 were issued), by
Roy Smeck's Trio; "...June" would appear to be ARC matrix 8819 (issued
take not shown) by the same group...?!

Steven C. Barr