[78-L] Cosmo Records

Dan Van Landingham danvanlandingham at yahoo.com
Wed May 5 14:36:44 PDT 2010

I've one Cosmo 78 in my collection-a recording by Henry Busse.As I recall,by way of George T. Simon,
Cosmo was started by a record man named Herb Hendler,who also had a label called "Rainbow".I had
a Rainbow 78 many years ago of "Pagan Love Song" by one Eddie "Piano" Miller.As I recall,Hendler
induced pianist/arranger Ralph Flanagan to put together a studio band for a Rainbow date that was a Glenn Miller reunion album.The band consisted of some of the Miller bandmates which included trumpeters John Best and Mickey McMickle.I saw the album back in 1988 and passed on it.Frank Soco-
low I am familiar with via his recordings with Boyd Raeburn most notably "Out of Nowhere" which had a
great trumpet solo by one Tommy Allison as well as that great solo by Socolow himself.As I recall,Socol-
ow later played alto with a short lived band led by former Herman bassist Chubby Jackson who also did
a date for Columbia with that band.Tiny Kahn was the drummer and Marty Flachsenhaar played baritone
sax.