[78-L] Huh?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon May 3 20:28:29 PDT 2010

From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> I wonder if stamp collecting--and possibly even coin collecting--is
> undergoing a similar crisis because young people do not snail-mail
> things nor use coins except in parking meters.  If they HAVE to
> snail-mail something they can get the postage on-line, and credit cards
> can be used in parking meters in many cities.

The one difference is that both stamps and coins have established (and
often HIGH!) values, which can easily be looked up in somewhat
"official" publications. While there have been a few attempts to create
similar things for records (and, in fact, just about EVERY "collecting
hobby" that has appeared?!), they have never attained the same
acceptance as in the first two hobbies...!

Steven C. Barr