[78-L] Huh?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon May 3 19:43:53 PDT 2010

see end...
From: "Taylor Bowie" <bowiebks at isomedia.com>
>> How many of this demographic will be able to toletate the ubiquitous
>> efforts of Henry Burr et al; keep in mind that the accepted jazz
>> recordings
>> of that period were sold in minimul quantities...?!
>> Steven C. Barr
>
> You're missing the point,  which is that collectors come to the music from
> variety of perspectives.    There are younger (under 40) collectors who
> are
> fascinated by many early recordings,  which might include those of Henry
> Burr.
>
> And so what if it doesn't?  Do we say that scholars and collectors have no
> interest in English literature of the 1920s and 30s because novels by Hugh
> Walpole no longer sell?  In his time,  Walpole was as popular a novelist
> as
> Burr was a recording artist...now I'd say there is less demand for Walpole
> books than there is for Burr records.
>
> And what exactly do you mean by "accepted jazz recordings"?  Ones which
> have
> been tested and  passed by the USDA?  Is the Whiteman Victor of "Lonely
> Melody" with a fantastic Bix solo not one of the "accepted" disks?    It
> certainly wasn't sold in any sort of "minimul" quantities,  or minimal
> ones
> either.  I'll bet you have more than one copy in your milk crates right
> now.
>
> And...how do you figure that a budding record collector has only the two
> choices you mention,  i.e. collecting early records by Burr and others or
> going after expensive,  much-in-demand  jazz records which were issued in
> small pressings?  That leaves out a lot of interesting music available on
> records which don't cost an arm and a leg (unless arms and legs are only
> going for a few bucks each these days).
>
> Comment sa va (as you so often say yourself)!?

Comment ca va (I think the "c" in "ca" should have a little doo-dad on it
to indicate it is pronounced like "s"...?!).

First, I have over the past few years purchased several large accumulations
of vintage 78's. Almost all of these were made up of "jazz records" (usually
of the thirties/early forties)...or common vocal records of the acoustic era
(i.e. a LOT of Henry Burr, Peerless Quartet(te), Irving Kaufman and such).
Further, almost all of the commonly-found 78's of the current era are
from the forties/early fifties; I don't find this stuff to be that enjoyable
for
listening...and I suspect most younger folks who acquire accumulations
of this on 78's would feel as I do...?!

Second, when I said "accepted jazz," I meant "accepted by serious jazz
lovers as..."! The Whiteman disc you cite is somewhat of an anomaly...?!

However, thinking further, I have realized that a younger person trying
to collect 78's (here I assume he/she/it has neither knowledge of the
evolution of popular music of the 20th century...nor access to the
"standard" 78rpm discographies...?!) is most likely to acquire bunches
of 1946-54 78's (see above for my comments thereon!). Unlike the
dance/jazz instrumentals of 1916-3? or the earlier vocal "hits" of
1910-2?...there are two considerations?! First, should this "newbie"
happen to acquire a bunch of "swing era" 78's, there is some listenable
content; however, much of it is available (and more easily played) on
CD or LP. Second, if the acquisition is a quantity of the vocal hits of
1946-54, I suspect listening to those may well discourage our "newbie"
from further "adventures in 78-land"...?!

Steven C. Barr