[78-L] Young collectors...

Ted Kneebone tkneebone1 at abe.midco.net
Mon May 3 11:29:35 PDT 2010

When I got started collecting "old time radio" recordings, I was pleased to
find out that there were several young people interested, and collecting.
One was 14; can't remember the others.  To help his collection, I sent him a
few dubs of my cassettes.  In 1994, I traded cassette for cassette.
Occasionally someone would want something from my reels.  Now, quite often
traders want CDs.

Since this is a list about 78s, I want to do some remembering.  My first
phonograph was a Silvertone from my grandfather.  It came complete with "Jim
Lawson's hogs" and "Listen to the mocking bird."
When we got home from Sioux Falls, I discovered a second hand store in my
hometown, Winner, that sold used records:  10" for 5c, 12" for 10c.  It was
hard to find classical music, but if I looked long enough, I could usually
find something.  "Gems from the Mikado" by Prince's Orchestra and Chorus.
Mischa Elman playing some Brahms' Hungarian dances.  But most of my
collection was popular music from the 1920s:  "Collegiate", and "So long
oolong" for example.  For the real heavy stuff, I had to go to Montgomery
Ward's and Sears, Roebuck's mail order catalogs.  First additions were
Grieg's piano concerto, and Beethoven's symphony no. 8.  Mother took me
shopping in Sioux Falls, and I came home with Grieg's Peer Gynt suite #1,
Rossini's William Tell overture, and Strauss' Die Fledermaus overture.

I had over the years, a Victrola, a hybird thing someone made from a wooden
box, and then an RCA 78 player made of plastic.  Having saved some money, as
a senior in high school, I ordered a combination record player and disc
recorder from Allied Radio.  The electronic gear ran off our radio's
amplifier.  The band-choir director let me borrow the school's Wilcox-Gay
Recordio when my Allied unit died.  I was in seventh heaven.  I recorded a
few concerts off the air (NYPSO) and many of our choir and band concerts.

The school had bought a wire recorder, but that one never made the grade.
After spending time trying to tie a square knot in a piece of wire the
diameter of a human hair, I gave up.  The school then graduated to reel
tape.

When I enrolled in college, Dad and I transported most of my 78 collection
in orange crates to the third floor of Lincoln Hall (NSTC).  The other
students must have thought I was crazy.  But I had to have music!  I loved
to conduct the music.  One night I was conducting the "Poet and Peasant
Overture", using a dowel for a baton.  Gradually, my room filled up with
onlookers.  They probably thought I was really crazy by then.  As I was
nearing the end of the overture, I heard a crash.  One of the boys had
broken a window.  Our house mother was soon up to the third floor, wondering
what had happened.  "Mr. Kneebone, you will have to pay for that broken
window!"

Having replaced most of my 78 collection with LPs, next came tape reels,
tape cassettes, and now CDs.  I was delightfully surprised to find out that
some of the 78 titles that had never been dubbed to LP, were now available
in CDs.  (Toscanini's Haydn #98, was one.)

Before giving my 78 collection to Northern State Teachers College, I dubbed
many of them to reels.  The next step for me was dubbing most of those
classical tunes to CD.

What's next?  I think I now have done it all.  No, I am not interested in
downsizing my stuff to a flash drive.

Ted Kneebone. 1528 S. Grant St., Aberdeen, SD 57401. Phone: 605-226-3344.
Old Time Radio: http://abe.midco.net/tkneebone3