[78-L] Youth collectors

Craig Ventresco craigventresco at gmail.com
Mon May 3 11:12:13 PDT 2010

 I began collecting 78's in 1st grade.When I was in fourth grade I really
wanted a Victrola, so I wrote in to the local paper, and they ended up
writing a short article about me. The result was that I did get a few people
calling the house who had Victrolas, but no collectors responded. Then I
found out that my 4th grade teacher had a big phonograph collection. He
couldn't have been less interested in helping me, however. I remember his
bringing a cylinder phonograph into show the class and my going up to him
afterwards and telling him how much I loved the Edison Concert Band (ok--I
was a weird kid). He wasn't impressed.  In fact, he seemed irritated.Years
later as a teen I became a member of the local record collecting group and
attended a meeting at his house, which was stuffed with phonographs and
records. I quizzed him about his record collection and it turned out that
he thought I was out of my mind because I was so interested in Billy Murray.
He was a 4th grade teacher with absolutely no interest in passing on any
knowledge to a younger collector.
In my early 20's I moved to California and met a number of collectors with
great collections of records.Most were REALLY nice people.. Some of them,
however, were completely disinterested in helping a younger collector with
information. In fact, it seemed like there was  an "old boy network" which
featured a lot of crotchety, jaded guys being dismissive of me because I was
so young. I had no war stories about junking store stock Paramounts--and I
had few good trade items,so what good was I?  The dynamic was hard to
take.Older collectors have to watch it--they can be extremely offputting to
younger people. They also are not  always neccesarily the most informed
about record history. Just because somebody is older doesn't mean that  they
used to hang out with Frank Crumit.. sometimes it means little more than the
fact that they were able to buy great records for a penny a piece at the
local Salvatiion Army.---Most collectors I have met have been great--but
some have come off more like the Major Braggart who Edward M Favor sings
about in "Would You Mind Passing the Salt?"
The collectors who were helpful to me early on really helped shape my
collecting interestes as an adult. I can't say enough nice things about
them.They helped keep my interest level high and I owe them a lot. Those
awesome collectors who come to mind include John A Petty, Bill Bryant,
Milford Fargo , George Blacker and Jim Walsh, .(all deceased now) I won't
bother naming the jerks whom I encountered!
I'm 42 now and still working on my collection. I would encourage all older
collectors on this list to be accepting of younger folk just getting into
records. I have met some people in their 20's with a keen awareness of
records, however I have also seen younger people loose interest and abandon
records, in part because it is sometimes very hard to find sympathetic
people to talk shop with.Older record guys: If you know a younger collector
be nice to them! Take the time to pass on the fascinating tidbits of minutia
that you encounter .Explain matrix and take numbers. Play them records.
It's getting less likely every year that a younger collector will go into a
junk shop and find a stack of Zonophones for sale for 50 cents each, and
Ebay prices teenagers out of the running to aquire the rarer things for sale
out there. Younger collectors are less likely to be able to examine brown
wax cylinders or Herwin 78's up close. Somebody has to expose them to that
stuff.
What's the point in all this? I'm not sure--just thought I'd add my 2 cents.