[78-L] Turntables that will play 78s and 16" ETs

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon May 3 10:21:34 PDT 2010

There is a difference between turntables which have separate tone-arms
mounted on the motor board after-market, and those that are sold with
integrated tone-arms.  In all the cases cited in these postings so far,
the turntable itself has nothing to do with the size capacity, it is
only the arm length and how it is mounted.  So citing
Panasonic/Techniques or Rek-O-Kut turntable models like these in this
posting do not matter.  If you have a long tone-arm you could mount it
on a 6-inch kiddie phono turntable so it would play 16 or 17-inch discs,
or a Pathe 20-inch.  If you have a turntable with a non-integrated arm,
get a different arm and motor board and use the same turntable you
already have.

As for fully integrated turntable-tone arm combinations, the old
Bogen/Lenco 60 series could play 16-inch discs and had continuously
variable speed.  The L-75 will not fit 16's but I think will fit a Pathe
14-inch.

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com