[78-L] Youth collectors

Gene Baron gene.baron at gmail.com
Mon May 3 09:36:33 PDT 2010

There are several threads on this interesting topic so I wasn't sure which
one to reply to but I chose this one.  I think we need also to distinguish
between colelcting the discs and interest in the music itself.  My son is 22
years old and is about to graduate from Earlham College in Richmond
Indiana.  Not too many people know much about Richmond IN other than us old
music enthusiasts (for Gennett, or course) and Quakers (for the college and
related Quaker organizations located in the same town).  Falling into both
of these groups, I am no stranger to the area.  But I digress -- my son has
a strong interest in music going way back, and has even featured English
Music Hall and old Hillbilly music on a radio show has has hosted from the
college for a year or so.  He enjoys seeing the oddities I pull out from the
basement, and I am sure he'd be pleased to get my 78rpm records at some
point, but I doubt he'd listen to them much.  He is very much of this era in
that even the oldest of the music he plays is from CD reissues or gotten on
line.  So in his case anyway I think the interest in the musical content
outweighs the interest in the physical record itself.  Thanks.

Gene
gene.baron at gmail.com