[78-L] Huh?

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Mon May 3 08:19:54 PDT 2010

Thatcher Graham says: “I find that music collectors just a bit younger
than me don't even know
78s existed. Or if they do, don't understand the different between them
and LPs.
having never played records of any kind, they recognize them by diameter
not material or playing speed. My interns abstain from physical media
entirely - downloading and sharing digital media exclusively.  They see
our hobby as a novelty. The genre of music is not the obstruction. They
just have no connection
to physical media.”

Thank you, Thatcher, for raising this issue. One of the big concerns of
the IAJRC (International Association of Jazz Record Collectors) is how
to attract young people to the hobby. We do have several members in
their 30s who attend our annual Convention, but most attending members
are in their 50s, 60s, and beyond. As the membership ages, we are not
adding new blood. Your comments and that of other contributors on this
matter have given me an idea that I have just e-mailed to the Manager
of our 2010 Convention in September: Contact one or more local schools
and invite a class or two to visit our Convention Record Room where
they can see and hear 78s and LPs, what makes them different from CDs,
how a phonograph works, and have a demonstrator give an entertaining
explanation of these and other features. Seeing, hearing, and touching
may be a way to help young people become aware of records, how much fun
they can be, and why people turn collecting them into a lifetime hobby!