[78-L] Turntables that will play 78s and 16" ETs

neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com
Mon May 3 06:43:52 PDT 2010

Sammy,

I know of only 2 Panasonic models, one is the SL 1500 (?) and the other
I do not remember. I wish I had bought it when I bought my first stereo
when I was in college, but I did not. I chose to go with the lower and
slightly less expensive SL 1200 since I did not have any 16" at the
time. 1200 does not play 16". I still use this to this day, it is in the
  family room and it works quite well.

Now I don't even remember the model numbers. That's what pencils were
invented for.

My transcription turntable is a custom made Diapason, built from a Panny
SL-1200MK2 by a fellow Jeff Duboff. I thought they were no longer made,
but I found a web page http://www.shellac.org/wams/wvendor1.html#3.
Graham Newton also references it on his web site. Plays up to 20" Pathe
records, speed is digital 15 to 120 or 125 rpm continuously variable in
1/10 rpm increments. Presets for 33.33, 45, and on mine, 78.26. The web
page lists only 2 preset speeds.

Also for fun see http://recordplayer.com/

Eric will probably comment on these. They would be a stunning piece of
art even if they did not play records. Almost Berliner looking, in that
the belt is exposed.

I have one 17" lacquer but it was used for recording a live event, not
for mastering. I assume this was the intended function of such a large
disc. That means a 20" Pathe was mastered on what, a 21" wax blank?

joe salerno