[78-L] Huh?

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sun May 2 22:08:01 PDT 2010

> How many of this demographic will be able to toletate the ubiquitous
> efforts of Henry Burr et al; keep in mind that the accepted jazz
> recordings
> of that period were sold in minimul quantities...?!
>
> Steven C. Barr

You're missing the point,  which is that collectors come to the music from a
variety of perspectives.    There are younger (under 40) collectors who are
fascinated by many early recordings,  which might include those of Henry
Burr.

And so what if it doesn't?  Do we say that scholars and collectors have no
interest in English literature of the 1920s and 30s because novels by Hugh
Walpole no longer sell?  In his time,  Walpole was as popular a novelist as
Burr was a recording artist...now I'd say there is less demand for Walpole
books than there is for Burr records.

And what exactly do you mean by "accepted jazz recordings"?  Ones which have
been tested and  passed by the USDA?  Is the Whiteman Victor of "Lonely
Melody" with a fantastic Bix solo not one of the "accepted" disks?    It
certainly wasn't sold in any sort of "minimul" quantities,  or minimal ones
either.  I'll bet you have more than one copy in your milk crates right now.

And...how do you figure that a budding record collector has only the two
choices you mention,  i.e. collecting early records by Burr and others or
going after expensive,  much-in-demand  jazz records which were issued in
small pressings?  That leaves out a lot of interesting music available on
records which don't cost an arm and a leg (unless arms and legs are only
going for a few bucks each these days).

Comment sa va (as you so often say yourself)!?

Taylor