[78-L] Cartoon music from commercial releases...

Graham Newton gn at audio-restoration.com
Sat May 1 12:47:32 PDT 2010

Can anyone identify the remainder of these tunes?

A few years ago (2003 to be exact!), a question was asked about music heard on
a variety of cartoons that were seen frequently on early TV and have been
issued in "collections" of early cartoons.  I posted mp3s of them on my website
and four out of nine were identified back then by some very knowledgeable
collectors including Vincent Fitzpatrick, John Wilby, Piet Schreuders
(Beauhunks), David Lennick, and Vince Giordano (Nighthawks).

Apparently vocals were cut out for the cartoon use, which added to the
confusion, and were definitely a surprise, although it makes ultimate sense.

So far these have been ID'd:-

http://67.210.127.4/TRACK3.mp3
George Olsen, "Where'd You Get Those Eyes."  Victor, 1926.
The vocal has been cut out.  It would have started at 1:32.
CONFIRMED

http://67.210.127.4/TRACK5.mp3
George Olsen.  Victor.  "Just a Little Thing Called Rhythm."
The vocal is cut out at 1:30.
CONFIRMED

http://67.210.127.4/TRACK7.mp3
"Meadowlark."  George Olsen, on Victor, 1926
CONFIRMED

http://67.210.127.4/TRACK8.mp3
"Dancing Shadows", band is Paul Whiteman.  The sax solo
is by Frank Trumbauer.
CONFIRMED

I still think they could turn out to be ALL from Victor.  I believe for a while
they were licensing their commercially released recording material to anyone
who wanted to pay to use it, which is how some of it appeared in cartoons
that otherwise wouldn't have had a sound track.  Much cheaper than hiring a
composer and an orchestra to write music to fit the picture!

These were copied from tracks of cartoons, probably originally silent, that
had a sound track added later to extend their marketability as sound became
the standard.

The following tunes are as yet still unidentified... please listen to them
and see if anything sounds familiar:-

http://67.210.127.4/TRACK1.mp3

http://67.210.127.4/TRACK2.mp3

http://67.210.127.4/TRACK4.mp3

http://67.210.127.4/TRACK6.mp3

http://67.210.127.4/TRACK9.mp3

You should be able to just click on the above links to listen to them.

... Graham Newton

--
World class professional services applied to phonograph and tape
recordings for consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR processes.