[78-L] Susan Reed obit

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Apr 30 19:56:43 PDT 2010

From: "Cary Ginell" <soundthink at live.com>

> Folk singer Susan Reed has died at the age of 84. Reed was one of Jac
> Holzman's first folk artists recorded on the Elektra label in the early
> 1950s but before that, she recorded an album of 78s of folk songs for RCA
> Victor: (M-1086: "Folk Songs and Ballads"), one of the first albums of the
> so-called "urban folk revival."

Another sad reminder that many...probably MOST...of us 78-ophiles are "on
our
way out"...?! I have no idea what the current average age of us "78-Lers"
is...but
I tend to believe it may well be 60-something...?!

If that is the case, we can very well expect that a LOT of major 78
collections
will either be (1) offered for sale...or (2) hauled off and dumped in
landfills...in
the next decade or two...?! Remember that events of the fifties occured
about half-a-century or more ago...even though we may well personally
remember them, we are among a diminishing demographic!

We are about to be replaced by an Internet-savvy, sex-crazed "younger
generation" that wots not of 78's nor how to play them...?!

Steven C. Barr