[78-L] speaking english,

fnarf at comcast.net fnarf at comcast.net
Thu Apr 29 11:56:26 PDT 2010

When I was doing extensive newspaper research in places like Minnesota and Iowa, I found that the Midwest states up until about WWI, and in some cases WWII, had dozens upon dozens of German-language newspapers for the many first-generation immigrants who, like all first-generation immigrants, struggled with English, or never tried. The second gen speaks both; the third gen only English. This has always been true.

Polish and Norwegian and, ahem, "Bohunk" ones too.