[78-L] Bing Article in today's WSJ

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Thu Apr 29 06:15:43 PDT 2010

Al Simmons says:“It's not only careless editing but illiterate as well.
"If bing Crosby WEREN'T" is correct English ...not "wasn't"
But it don't not bother me no more.  It's all over the place,”

That is only paragraph one. How about:

“Touching” instead of “touching upon” in paragraph 2. As it is, neither
form “touches” me.

Instead of his original sentence structure in paragraph 2, how about:
“He was the first major pop vocalist to incorporate in his singing the
swinging rhythms and improvisatory essence of the new American music
called jazz.”

What does “harder-to-hear later portions of his career” (paragraph 4)
mean? I don’t have any problem hearing Bing. I just press my ear
trumpet against the loud speaker.

Regrettably, one can find all kinds of spelling, punctuation,
grammatical, and word-choice mistakes in today’s media. So far, my
favorites just this morning are “passers by” and “the Couple were.”
Recent favorites include “uriniating,” “Personnel and Confidential,”
“wind turbans” (those clever A-rabs and Seeks!), “physical review” for
“fiscal review,” “glutton” for gluten, and this sign in a Ft. Wayne,
Indiana laundry: “For sanitary reasons, there are no Burmese people
allowed.”