[78-L] Original 1926 Columbia Test Pressing - Baby Doll

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Apr 28 19:57:54 PDT 2010

From: "Geoffrey Wheeler" <dialjazz at verizon.net>
> Many thanks for making this available on YouTube. It came through nice
> and clear. To my ears, it sounded like a shellac test. The label looks
> the same as those I have seen on other Columbia test pressings from
> that period or the mid-1920s to early 1930s. Since it had a wide
> lead-in, was the matrix number stamped there or in the lead-out?

Columbia "test pressings" were often larger than the 10" issued records;
generally, the wide "lead in" area is where the information (artist, title,
etc.) was written. Victor put this in the label area, so that it was removed
during the processing for issue (It can often be seen on pre-1913 Canadian
Victors, which didn't have "sunken" labels!).

Steven C. Barr