[78-L] Original 1926 Columbia Test Pressing - Baby Doll

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Apr 28 19:51:20 PDT 2010

From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> From: bruce78rpm at comcast.net
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLTRUwskzC4
>> Bessie Smith Original Test Pressing from May 4, of 1926.
>> An advance peek at the Actual Record that will be posted for Sale on
>> Saturday.
>
> You don't say if the test is shellac or vinyl.  It looks like it is
> vinyl.  If so, it is not an "early test pressing from 1926" as you
> describe it in the video, but a relatively recent one, probably made in
> the 1950s or 60s when the LPs were issued.  I also would wonder about
> the use of the word "original" which seems to denote that it was a
> pressing from the original era of the recording when it might have been
> used to decide which take to issue.  Some would prefer having a pressing
> from that era, while others would actually prefer the vinyl pressing
> which might be quieter.  You have to be very, very specific in
> describing things like this when you are selling them. While it
> certainly is a test pressing of a 1926 master, it is only an "Original
> 1926 Columbia Test Pressing" if it was actually pressed in 1926.  If it
> is vinyl, it isn't.

If it is vinyl, it is very likely to be an "Altschuler pressing"...?! Mr.
Altschuler
was high up in Columbia, and had access to the CBS vaults; for an
appropriate
fee, he would press (usually vinyl) copies of ny recording for which "metal
parts" existed in the CBS vaults (including, sometimes, unissued sides or
unissued takes of recordings!).

Steven C. Barr