[78-L] Original 1926 Columbia Test Pressing - Baby Doll

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Apr 28 09:16:21 PDT 2010

From: bruce78rpm at comcast.net
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLTRUwskzC4
> Bessie Smith Original Test Pressing from May 4, of 1926.
> An advance peek at the Actual Record that will be posted for Sale on Saturday.

You don't say if the test is shellac or vinyl.  It looks like it is
vinyl.  If so, it is not an "early test pressing from 1926" as you
describe it in the video, but a relatively recent one, probably made in
the 1950s or 60s when the LPs were issued.  I also would wonder about
the use of the word "original" which seems to denote that it was a
pressing from the original era of the recording when it might have been
used to decide which take to issue.  Some would prefer having a pressing
from that era, while others would actually prefer the vinyl pressing
which might be quieter.  You have to be very, very specific in
describing things like this when you are selling them. While it
certainly is a test pressing of a 1926 master, it is only an "Original
1926 Columbia Test Pressing" if it was actually pressed in 1926.  If it
is vinyl, it isn't.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com