[78-L] Publishing samplers

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Tue Apr 27 21:15:23 PDT 2010

Actually it was Warner Chappell, WB's publishing arm, that produced that set, which was available to industry professionals only. It was part of three hefty three-ring binders that included their publishing hits, cross-referenced for easy access. The set came out in the late 1980s and has been indispensable in my work. Most of the major publishers put their own samplers out, most in ornate, lavish boxes. I have ones produced by Music Sales, Peermusic, Opryland (Acuff-Rose), BMG, ARC Music, Famous Music, Windswept Pacific, and quite a few others. The most ambitious was probably EMI's set, which had a series of multi-disc slip-cased box sets - but they crammed over 70 songs on each CD, necessitating truncating each song to about a minute each. The Warner Chappell set, as does most of the others, include full-length versions, even of epics like "Stairway to Heaven." The publishers poured a lot of money into each sampler set because one good synch license would pay for the entire thing. They've all cut back now, although Warner Chappell does have a nifty series of 2-and3 CD box sets devoted to standards composers like Rodgers & Hart, Cole Porter, Jule Styne, et. al.

Cary Ginell