[78-L] Pepsi (Was something else)

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Apr 27 17:06:22 PDT 2010

From: S&R Pinsker <spinsker at erols.com>

> Am I the only one here who listened to Easy Aces and Lum & Abner?

No you're not, but this is a 78 list, not an old time radio list, so
these radio programs would be discussed here generally only in relation
with the original recordings of the programs.  Since both of these
programs were syndicated in addition to being live network programs,
there WERE recordings of these made back in the 30s and 40s and
distributed as pressed 16-inch ETs.  I think Goodie Ace's original
masters are in LC, and there are thousands of L&A episodes owned by
their distribution company which is still in business and still
distributing the programs for stations to broadcast.

> I still remember the excitement when we got a SECOND radio
> and a few years later I was given my own personal one.

Occasionally discussed on the OTR lists and the OTR-Digest.  But how
about when your family got your second PHONOGRAPH and when you were
given your own personal PHONOGRAPH?

By the way, for any of you interested in OTR, there is an annual OTR
Convention being held in Cincinnati in two weeks, May 7&8.  If you are
in the region, Bob, you might want to come (it might be the last one
there.)  http://adfreewebsite.com/cincyflyer.htm
http://www.quicktopic.com/41/H/yL4hDeiALxM

There is another held in Seattle in a couple of months, REPS, June
25-27.  http://repsonline.homestead.com/

The Mid-Atlantic Nostalgia Convention, MANC, in Maryland this Sept
23-25. http://www.midatlanticnostalgiaconvention.com/

And the Friends of Old Time Radio, FOTR, in Newark in the fall (which
also might become the final one there).
http://www.lofcom.com/nostalgia/fotr/

Leah and I will be at all of these except REPS, and we broadcast FOTR on
YesterdayUSA.com  .  Cinc and MANC are broadcast by RadioOnceMore.com
and we will also be heard there.

For the 78 folks here -- which means ALL of you -- we just had the Wayne
NJ Mechanical Music show, and the NJ Jazz Bash is coming up June 25-26.
 http://www.jazzbash.net/

And of course there is ARSC coming up in New Orleans!!!   ARSC-audio.org

> Then came the years when I assembled HeathKits and EICOs.   Bob Pinsker

I prefered EICO's designs of these two, but of course the BEST kits were
Dynaco and Harmon Kardon.  These latter two products are now sometimes
selling for ten times or more their original cost.  EICO and HeathKits
are nostalgia, Dynaco and Harmon Kardon are STILL state-of-the-art!!!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com