[78-L] Gene Lees obit

Bill McClung bmcclung78 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 14:54:01 PDT 2010

He never gets in the way when I read him.   I guess I am so focused on the
musicians he is writing about that things just unfold through his eyes and I
usually don't see him at all.  I simply enjoy his writing and since I never
met him I'm not having to see through anything else.  As I read my mind just
edits him out.

The first two books of his I read were "Meet Me at Jim & Andy's" from 1988
and "Waiting for Dizzy" from 1991 in which he is pretty transparent.  With
his later books you do see more of him so maybe I just learned to see
through him early and just kept on seeing through him.